Easy Trifle Dessert Recipe Creates a Special Occasion
I often get requests for this dessert for birthday parties
This is an easy make-ahead dessert recipe. The trick is to allow enough time for the pudding to set up. That’s why I usually make the pudding the night before I need the dessert and I make the angel food cake early in the morning of the day I need it. This allows plenty of time for the flavors to meld and chill.
- 1 box Angel food cake mix
- 1 pkg Vanilla pudding mix
- 8 cups berries, bananas (slices)
- Amaretto (approx. 1/2 cup)
- Make 1 package of pudding the night before, according to the directions, or two hours before so it has time to set up in the refrigerator.
- Make Angel food cake mix according to directions on the box. I make this the morning of the event. Invert and cool (Out of the oven, I turn the cake in the pan upside down on a wine bottle.)
- When the pudding is firm and the cake is cool, you can assemble. Use a large glass bowl or a glass trifle bowl (to display the layers).
- Rinse the fruit. I like to use 3 different kinds. For July 4th, I'd do blueberries with raspberries and strawberries, putting the blueberries in the middle.
- Either tear the Angel food cake in pieces or slice horizontally in thirds. Start with a layer of Angel food on the bottom of the bowl, using 1/3 of the cake.
- Pour 1/3 of your Amaretto over the Angel food layer to soak lightly.
- Use 1/3 of the pudding and spread over the soaked cake layer.
- Top the pudding with 1/3 of the fruit, spreading fruit out to the sides.
- Repeat the layering process two more times.
- Cover with cellophane wrap and chill 2 hours or even overnight.