My switch-up on Ina Garten’s simply delicious recipe.
- 7 oz sweetened shredded coconut
- 7 oz unsweetened shredded coconut
- 14 oz sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla (I use Mexican vanilla bean paste)
- 2 extra-large egg whites (Room temperature)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Combine coconut, condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Beat egg whites and salt with mixer on high until you get stiff peaks. You should be able to turn bowl upside-down and mixture stays put.
- Fold egg white mixture into coconut mixture and blend carefully.
- Use an ice cream scoop to drop batter onto greased pans or pans with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool.
I used Blue Cattle Truck Trading Company’s Gourmet Mexican Vanilla Bean Paste in this recipe. It’s slightly thicker than traditional vanilla extract. Pure vanilla is more expensive, but you don’t use much at a time and the taste is so worth it. I use the same amount for the recipe that I would use for regular vanilla.
You can find it on Amazon; this is an affiliate link. I might get a little money if you buy through the link, but you will certainly not pay any more.